Thursday, September 01, 2005

What an experience !

It is hard to believe that we've been back from S. Africa for over a month already. Believe me, it was not easy to readjust to the routine.

The warm memories and experiences of this trip will stay in my heart for ever. The trip was as exciting and wonderful as I thought it would be. We went to so many places and had the privilege to see a side of S. Africa not usually seen by a regular tourist. I consider that in itself a blessing because it is the only way to really learn about a country. I was very impressed by the warmth of everyone we met. We were greeted with smiles, kindness and generosity everwhere we went.

Like my colleagues I was moved by the disparity of wealth and poverty which we witnessed from the very first moment we set foot in Durban. Durban in a cosmopolitan city with an outstanding infrastructure, modern buildings and prosperity. At the same time poverty and need was mixed with riches everywhere. We quickly learnt about the difficulties for survival of the poor.

It was also very difficult to face the HIV-AIDS problem first hand. It not the same to read about it in a book or hear about it from a TV program. It definitely was a humbling experience to see the patients in the HIV clinics we visited fighting for their lives with minimal resources and keeping their faith and their spirtis up. We were witnesses to the social problems that HIV-AIDS bring to the population like the many orphans left behind with no support or the increasing number of households run by children or grandparents.

We were also witnesses to the dedication and generosity of the many healthcare workers we met throughout this trip. The care takers, the nurses, the social workers and the doctors were all performing their mission with pure love. The hand of God was there.

But I also found S. Africa to be a vibrant modern country. I felt that people were working together towards positive social changes post-apartheid. Understandably it is not an easy task, and all the injustices may never be erased but I saw hope and a positive attitute. I saw many opportunities to grow and prosper.

I will keep a fond memory of S. Africa and its fascinating cultures and traditions. I hope my return trip is not too far in the future !

Carmen

No comments: