Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Time for Reflection :)

Hello Blog Readers!
It has been just over a month since our return from Durban and I find myself still thinking about just how wonderful this International Health Experience has been. I find myself looking at nursing and the healthcare field through new eyes and I feel that I have only begun my journey in Nursing. I have felt drawn to nursing from the start because of the holistic approach to patient care and my respect and appreciation for the nursing profession has grown tremendously in the last two years since I have been at the Institute! Upon returning from South Africa, I find that I am also drawn to using my nursing to work with those who are most vulnerable.

We had the privilege of meeting many people suffering from AIDS in South Africa. It was quite humbling to talk with people about their struggles due to AIDS. Many situations we were told about were almost incomprehensible to me….that people can endure so much suffering….it renews my faith in the strength of the human spirit. We were fortunate to meet Nurses and Physicians who are working to relieve the afflictions caused by the AIDS virus in South Africa. For me it was inspirational to meet healthcare professionals who were so deeply motivated in their work.

One surprise from this trip…I have found that this experience has caused me to see research in an entirely new light. I have never found research particularly intriguing; however, learning about the field research being done in regards to AIDS vaccines, ARVs and their use with pregnant women and babies, adherence to ARVs, etc…there is so much that can be gained that will hopefully help to lead to a cure and at the very least a reduction in suffering.

The most memorable part of my experience…The Sinekethemba AIDS clinic at McCord Hospital in Durban. I know we have talked about this in our blog…One particular morning I was at the clinic during their morning prayer. The patients arrive at the clinic anytime after 6 am to register for their appointment (it could be an initial ARV consult, a follow-up to check their labs, a sick-visit, etc.). The people are patiently waiting, sitting in order of arrival, and at 7:45 am everything stops. In unison, everyone (patients, nurses, doctors, research coordinators) join in singing a beautiful gospel song, followed by a reading, and one more song to begin the day. The singing was quite moving. Seeing people suffering from AIDS and those working to help all joining together singing was an unbelievable experience. It again reinforces for me the power of the human spirit. I found out that this clinic also has a choir that performs and have a cd….I was listening to the cd the other day and there is one song that says it perfectly,
“Dear God, help us find a cure”

-Meghan

No comments: